Thursday, January 18, 2007

3rd period, home stretch

Some miscellaneous notes from last week with 3rd period, my most challenging class:

Class began with a disorganized ramble through the sketchbook review, prolonged by the half-dozen late comers. Was to end at 11, then 11:05. Finally, at 11:15, I said we have to move on.

T slept thru the sketchbook review with a hood over her head. I asked T to wake up and take the hood off, to which C thought she found another example of my blatant injustice. "You let (so-and-so) wear her hood all day yesterday, you better NOT be telling her to take her's off, I can't believe you Mr W".

T continued to sleep. When I woke her up and asked her to get started on her work, she blew up at me: "No! I'm not doing it! Go away! Stop talking! Leave me alone! Go!" (Imagine this in a sing-songy high-pitched whine). I imediately called her in my office, and to my surprise she came in right away. I started saying something about how this sketchbook review is the project we are working on, and it's an important part of her grade, and before I could get to the part about the importance of being respectful in her conversations with me, she broke down crying. Dumbstruck, I stammered something about how we all have a bad day now and then, but just did not know what to say (I think I managed a mumbled "Do you want to talk about it?") Did her boyfirend dump her? Did she get a paper-cut? Does her father beat her? Did she just find out she's pregnant? What other horrible calamity might she be afflicted with that I am grossly unequipped to address? I let her sit back down. She slept for the rest of the class.

Tried to get everyone's attention to make announcements about remaining schedule: turn in finished projects, finish unfinished ones (printmaking, research project poster), then start the optional 2-day project, Copper Embossing

The mention of a new project was met with an uproar. Granted, there are only 2 days left, but it is a 2 day project, is optional, and is actually somewhat fun. I heard micellaneous unfavorable grumbles about me, and others said they plan to sleep on the last day. Got many requests for a movie. Got firmly rebuked when I mentioned that this wasn't going to happen.

Rest of the class was actually fine, with all students working on miscelanneous projects and some not working at all (T, S, and M who planned to sleep the last day), but at least being quiet about it. Regardless, the projects they turn in will be just as half-assed as they were yesterday.

Halfway through class and still no work begun by S. Approached her about it, and asked her what she was working on. With headphones on, she replies, "Huh?" I ask her to take the headphones off. I ask her again. She says she didn't get the paper for Copper Embossing (it is right in front of her), and I move it an inch closer. She asks what she is supposed to do. Others around her chuckle at this, because I have just finished giving my instruction. I start again from the very beginning, anyway, talking about the copper and the sculpting tools. She interrupts: "Don't try to play me like I'm stupid!"

No comments: