Thursday, January 25, 2007

First days of the new semester

My particular high school runs on a 4x4 block schedule, in which year-long courses are condensed into one semester via 90-minute blocks - four in one semester, and a different four the next semester. Basically, this means that at semester change, teachers are looking at a completely different school. Today is Day 2 of the new spring semester.

There are a few challenges I am facing in the transition to the new semester, but they are challenges that every art teacher will face on the first days. They are not unique to art, by the way, but are common mostly among process-oriented electives (music, foods, theater, team sports, etc.) because these are considered "non-academic" courses by guidance counselors and administration. Let's put aside the fact that a basic art curriculum will cover all eras of human history through its art, will teach science and physics in the making of art, and will ask students to critically analyze themes, abstract concepts and symbols across time-periods, media and even art forms - the argument for the academic nature of art is very important to me, but one that is inappropriate for this reflection. Regardless, the new semester challenges stem from this point of view that art is non-academic, and therefore a repository for the dispossessed.

Guidance counselors often need to fill holes in a student's schedule. Theoretically, students will see a list of available elective courses, and will choose the course that interests them the most. Very often, this never happens and students are placed somewhere against their will. English-language learners and what NC calls "exceptional children" are very frequently placed in art classes. For this, your average art teacher is a master of differentiation: modeling techniques to non-English speakers, and assisting EC students through modified lessons. This is all part of the job, and honestly what makes me feel like I am actually teaching, instead of guiding or even just talking. These students are placed in art because they are more likely to be successful here than in other "academic" courses, but also because they are keeping them away from all-important EOC (end of course) classes which contribute to the schools achievement numbers. Understandable - a student from Ecuador should learn to speak English before he is tested on poetry. But there are other students who do not fit into the above categories who are placed in art without their consent. These are the students who sigh as they walk in, throw their books down and flop into their seat, immediately putting their hood up and head down.

There is a tension between students who have chosen to be in the class and those who did not. Approximately one-third of the students say they took an art class because they thought it would be fun or interesting, another third admit that it sounded easy, and the final third claim that they are in art because, simply, guidance put them there. This will always be a fact of life to an intro-level art class. The way it manifests is a push and pull between two forces: the force of engagement/curiosity and the force of disengagement/entropy. Today, I did a quick visual scan of the students while giving my brief lecture, and in each class there were mixed results, but tipping towards the first force. About half of the students were actively listening, responding, while the balance looked down at the table. Each class had only one or two students who belonged to the latter group: heads down, no pencil in sight. These students would later plead for a pass to guidance in order to transfer out. I am happy to accommodate this request. In one case, another student in the middle group (easy grade) saw my willingness to write a pass to guidance and asked for one herself. When asked why, she said that she "did this all before in middle school". I coaxed her back in with the promise of new and exciting art, but this served to highlight the importance of catching and engaging those students in the middle so they don't drift into the "dark side".

On the whole, I am happy with my new students - I think I am winning the fight against entropy. Most of my students show either full engagement or mild curiosity, or at least a basic, quiet respect. Only a few actively reject the class, but they're rejecting what they think they know about art, or what they resent about school - not me. I can only name one out-and-out joker, the kind I will probably be calling home about and giving detention to. You can always tell who these students are because you learn their names right away.

After two days, I am encouraged and hopeful, but a little lonely for the last group. My friend and colleague H expressed something similar in her blog, which I will use here because the sentiment fits nicely:

"There was an odd feeling inside me today, an empty-ish feeling. I think it because I am so used to coming into a room full of kids whom I love and know and who love and know me back. I miss my kids! But there was also a lot of excitement—for new chances, for better teaching, for meeting so many new, fresh, and fun students."

Now off to guidance with the rest of you lot!

No comments: