Monday, January 8, 2007

"Oh right, Cubism!"

The last post came on a Wednesday - a dark, doom-laden Wednesday - but because of the winter break was more like a souped-up Monday. I left that day hoping that things would get better on my return, but fearing that they wouldn't - fearing that I had created a delusional acceptance of a bad, hopeless situation.

I was wrong, of course. Thursday came and went without event. Friday, even better. In fact, my third period charmers were at their most well-behaved, and closest to intrinsically motivated they have ever been. They listened patinetly throughout my announcements, responded with interest to posted due dates, and began work on projects right away. To my delight, students seemed concerned about their due or overdue projects, and took efforts to turn in things that had long been forgotten. I was handed a half-dozen Cubist paintings and a stack of linoleum prints - and I've never been happier to grade things. And to my further delight (and surprise), students who were completely caught up on their projects asked to do another one! A student asked for another linoleum block so he could make another print - a fairly complicated and challenging project. Another student asked for one more canvas panel so he could paint whatever he wanted. Canvas panels ain't cheap, but I wanted to shower him with beautiful, virginal, pristine, expensive canvas panels.

Who are these kids? What did I do differently? Where were they Wednesday?

Is it just that today isn't the first day back from break? Is it that Wednesday was such a nightmare that these other calm days seem heavenly by comparison? Or is it a complete and total crap shoot? I hope that it is something I did, or something I set in place that is finally manifesting itself, though I know it is more likely the crap shoot.

No comments: